The European Association for Terminology is a non-profit professional organisation for the terminology sector in Europe in particular. It is designed to further plurilingualism through terminology, to provide a European platform for promoting and professionalising terminological activities and improving awareness of them, and to liaise and cooperate actively with other relevant organisations, associations and institutions at all levels.
The EAFT fulfils these objectives via:
- public relations activities and campaigns designed to promote the importance of terminology and terminology work;
- the provision and exchange of information on terminological activities;
- the promotion of and support for conferences, events and workshops on relevant topics;
- the creation of Special Interest Groups (SIGs) focusing on particular domains;
- the promotion of and support for research in terminology and related issues;
- contributions to the education and training of people working with terminology in all capacities, and the formal recognition of academic and vocational terminological training courses at the European and national levels.