Second Terminology Summit
26th - 27th November 2004
The First Terminology Summit was organised in Brussels on 12th to the 15th June 2002 and resulted in the "Brussels Declaration" for an international terminology co-operation. In this document a series of principles and possible actions to take in order to promote special language communication based on multilingualism are presented. The declaration has been approved by the principal institutions of terminology and is starting to gain widespread recognition was spread very widely and it will soon be presented at the United Nations.
The EAFT co-ordinates the organisation of the Second Summit which will take place from the 26th to 27th November in Barcelona during the Forum of Cultures all in the aim of developing new axes of co-operation between the terminology entities from all over the world.
- To encourage the creation of government policies and intergovernmental policies in the field of terminology
- To serve as an exchange forum of experience in the field of terminology and as a meeting point for terminology specialists from all over the world
- To present the results of the proposed actions of the Brussels Declaration and to develop new actions
- To encourage terminological co-operation activities and propose new joint actions common for terminological development
- To promote the visibility of terminological co-operation activities and the professions linked to these activities
- The state of the art of the terminology challenges of the research field
- The state of the art in terminology training
- Proposals for the interchange between terminologists and subject field experts
- Domain loss, i.e. when a certain language can no longer be used adequately in a certain domain and ways of preventing it
- National and regional terminology associations
- International terminology associations
- International terminology networks
- Terminology committees and commissions
- Terminology centres with geographical or linguistic mandates
- Language planning organizations with a specific interest in terminology
- Any other groups of special terminological interest
This summit is primarily intended for representatives of the above mentioned organizations and is free of charge for them. However, the general public can also participate in the Summit. Inscription fee: € 50 (€ 30 for students).
Please note that there are a limited number of places reserved for the general public.
Conference languages are Catalan, Dutch, English, French, German, Portuguese and Spanish, with simultaneous translation in English, French and Spanish.
LOCATION OF THE EVENT
INSTITUT UNIVERSITARI DE LINGÜÍSTICA APLICADA - UNIVERSITAT POMPEU FABRA
La Rambla 30-32, 08002 Barcelone
Getting to the IULA (location of the event):